Thursday, March 04, 2021

March 4 Varia

Today my son help me renew my car insurance and road tax at Gateway Seremban. The usual agent no longer is able to service us due to illness. Also, there seems to be a new development: will only be getting the road tax sticker later than usual - the reason seems to be the possible delay due to the pandemic situation (?). Despite the assurance that the renewal is said to be already recorded online, I still feel insecure about it, particularly if I were to do interstate travel to work when the new semester starts soon during which conditional movement control order (CMCO) is still in place. Still waiting for updates from the university or ministry regarding our work.

Another development: my research funds are running out and there will be difficulty in supporting my continuing students. As much as I want to help them, I don't think I will be applying for new funds given my near retirement. Also research funding opportunities (particularly for pure theoretical research) are getting more difficult to get. I have warned my students that they should try to conclude their studies real soon.

Just a few days earlier, I have also received an invitation from the organizers of International Conference on Applied Analysis and Mathematical Modelling (ICAAM2021) in Istanbul, Turkey. The conference will be held online and thus there will be no travelling complications. I have been to Turkey in 2018 before, for the same series of conference, and met one of the Chairmen for the conference, Prof. Aydin Secer (perhaps the reason of the invitation). Below is a picture of me with him and also a photo with the other Malaysian delegates.




I have accepted the invitation and now I have to think on what topic to give the talk on, hopefully it will be something more recent. Before so, I have to settle all my marking of exam scripts.




No comments: