Sunday, March 28, 2021

15 Syaaban 1442

It has been more than a week since I last posted here. I have been mostly busy with my duties. Today is the evening of 15 Syaaban 1442 and it is a good day to reblog. Muslims are usually aware of this day as Nisfu Sha'aban (mid-Sha'aban). It also signifies that we have two weeks more before the blessed month of Ramadhan. 

Last week is the first week of the new semester. The subjects I'm teaching is Advanced Quantum Mechanics and Special Relativity & Classical Field Theory. Of the two, I will probably spent more time with the former since I still do not have a stable set of notes for Advanced Quantum Mechanics, which is essentially the second course of quantum mechanics for our curriculum. Also, I have began to make my lecture videos public in my YouTube channel. These are often uploaded almost right after the lectures with very little editing. The videos don't have too much gimmicks like some of the teaching videos I have seen.

Besides teaching, I had some immediate tasks of editing an article of my PhD student and the corrections for a PhD thesis for another student. Much of the work is really in English editing, which I really wished that I don't have to do. A lot of the problems seems to be long sentences, disjointed logical flows, inappropriate prepositions and conjunctions. They should show improvement over their writings over time as this is crucial for their career. I, or for that matter, anyone else may not always be there to help on such little feat.

To overcome boredom, tried to move away from my usual duties by reading something which is totally outside of my research interest. It is a book I have bought sometime ago during a Big Bad Wolf sale. It is George Zarkadakis' "In Our Image - Will Artificial Intelligence Save or Destroy Us?" (see pic below). Being a slow reader, I have yet to finish it. I hope to jot down some points from my reading for the blog, but I have yet to do this properly (and hence the recent absence of any posts). So this will have to be at a later time. Much brooding on my part on many matters, really.


Another development is that I have been invited by USM students to give a talk at their Physics Coffee Talk sessions. Tentatively it is scheduled on 14 May and it will be on overview of mathematical physics (their request). Since the topic is huge, I may have to pick and choose topics that I want to cover in the talk. The following are their FB page and WordPress site: 

I hope I can deliver what they want.



No comments: