Tuesday, March 30, 2021

A Day of Sadness

Today is my day at the Faculty. Just like any other day, reached the university after 8am (the usual office starting time) due to congestion at the toll. 


I was essentially tired ever since last week (you can see my baggy eyes in the pic) and somehow was not quite in a good mood. Reflecting on my future.


Completed a recheck of a paper draft of my student and met him momentarily regarding his PhD thesis submission. Printed a few papers and then received the shocking news that my nephew, Nasyruddin (son of my brother Ahmad Tajuddin) passed away this morning. Shocking since I knew him as a very fit guy who probably have frequented the gym. The news is that he collapsed after complaining of ache in the stomach. Since I was at the Faculty, I called the Head of Department for permission to go back early and perhaps prepare myself (and my other half) for a visit. We filled up some forms to get permission from the local police station to do an interstate travel to visit my brother. Unfortunately the police told us we need a certifying letter of the death before we could do so. At the time, we do not have any documents apart from the whatsapp message. It is only later in the evening that we were given the police report of the death. The body has now been sent to PPUM for Covid-19 test and post-mortem for cause of death. The results of the test will only be known earliest tomorrow afternoon if not the day after. My guess, only thereafter, a proper burial can be done.

So I have taken an emergency leave tomorrow to prepare myself for a visit. Tomorrow is also the day my other half receiving the second dose of the Covid-19 vaccine. So the situation for now, is wait and see.

The last time I met the nephew is probably two years ago during Eid at my sister's house. Last year's Eid we did not get to go anywhere because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Below is my only relatively recent picture of him (four years ago)


He is the one standing at the back beneath the clock, wearing black. My brother is the one next to my other half. The late nephew should have been celebrating his 43rd birthday this coming September. May Allah grant forgiveness and blessings to his soul. Al-Fatihah.

No comments: