Sunday, May 09, 2021

Missing Mum

Today is Mother's Day. My late mum Habibah bt Daik was born on 16 November 1928. She was a full-time housewife taking care of a family of seven siblings and later even took care of some of her grandchildren. When she was still well, occasionally mum stayed at our (rented) house in Seremban, but most of the time, she stayed with my sister. Below is a pic of her with my eldest in 1995.


She stayed with us for an extended period once when she broke her leg (sometime in early 2000s). It was later when her health declined, she stayed in our present house until she left us on July 13, 2009. I was just a week away from attending a Quantum Theory & Symmetries symposium in Lexington, Kentucky (20-25 July, 2009). I remembered going to the symposium rather heartbroken.


It has been twelve years that she left us. We normally make it a point to visit her grave almost every year. Last year we did not get to visit the grave due to movement control order (MCO) for the Covid-19 pandemic. This year my other half reminded me to go before the third wave worsened. So we did yesterday. To our surprise, the grave has sunken quite deep (probably to soil movement being on a slope) and the writings on the tombstone are partially unreadable. We sought help from the graveyard maintainer to help pile up back some earth, put stones on it and reinked the writings. The pics below showed the conditions yesterday.



So this morning we went over again to have a look what has been done (see pics below). My other half bought some flowers to put them on the grave.





May Allah grant my mum forgiveness, blessings and paradise in the hereafter.

Today, my son in IIUM came back home as planned by the university and the ministry. So we had our breaking of fast almost with the whole family today (my youngest had to worked overtime at McDonalds, so he was not around at the time when we break our fast). Later, an additional surprise:  my youngest treated us with food from McDonalds. Full to the brim now.

No comments: