Monday, May 17, 2021

The Day My Brother Ahmad Tajuddin Left Us

Yesterday, my brother Ahmad Tajuddin left us. I was writing this post, thinking that he has shown some improvements in his health. Before reading the message from my sister Noraini to our family WhatsApp group, I was discussing with my younger colleague about our proposal in collaboration with UniMaP and UTM. At the time, I was feeling a little tense, thinking about three tasks I need to do: the proposal, the preparation for my talk in USM and my courses. Almost immediately thereafter, I read the message telling the family that my brother has passed away due to a sudden heart attack. My heart sank and my eyes began to swell with tears. I immediately messaged the family, asking for any documents from the hospital. This is needed for us to ask permission for inter-state travel. It took awhile for us to get these documents as they require the signature of my late brother's family member. Thanks to my other sister Zaizah (who was there at the hospital helping out), we finally got the documents around noon. Before getting the documents, I applied for leave for the next day (Monday) in case there are delays in making arrangement for the funeral. I also cancelled the morning class because I knew I won't be in the right state of mind to teach and excused myself from the meeting that night to discuss the proposal.

On printing the documents, we immediately went to the police station to get the permission letter to travel to Selangor/Kuala Lumpur where the funeral will be. Once we got the letter, we (with my eldest son and my other half) head off immediately to the mosque (Masjid Muhsinin) where the funeral prayers will be. The prayers was conducted after half past two, after which we went to the burial place in Kampung Bohol (quite a distance away from the mosque). Around half past three, my brother rested in his final resting place. My eldest son helped to lower the body to the grave as I have a bad back condition to do so.



This is a picture that Prof. Norihan send me (I forgotten to ask her who made the picture) saying condolences.


My late brother Tajuddin is the one who helped get a position in UPM and I am most grateful for this. After coming back from Bintulu campus, I stayed in his place (Mardi quarters) before applying for fellowship in the Sixth College. My regret is not being able to go to his son's funeral (at the time my other half is getting her first vaccination shot) and he must have been disappointed. The second regret when he came out from his coma, I did not get the chance to see him before he left us. May Allah grant him His Forgiveness and Mercy on his soul.

No comments: