Sunday, August 16, 2026

The Wedding Next Door

Yesterday, our next door neighbour held a wedding for their son.


On Thursday, they have started setting up 'tents' for the wedding guests. There are eight of them including the one for the bride and bridegroom.

As a good neighbour, we allow the caterer to use our car porch to place their equipment and food. Around 12 noon, the bride and bridegroom arrived and later sat at the wedding stage placed in our neighbour's car porch.


They had wedding silat performance after that. Wr had our lunch there in a nearby tent and sat with our neighbours. Mingling is not my expertise and usually I would let people do the talking, with me staying quiet most of the time. Being quiet sometimes can make others uncomfortable, which I did sense that yesterday. If so, my apologies. Making small talks is something difficult for me to do. To talk about he weather, it is hot most of the time these days (to the point that the water in our tank did not quite cool down overnight as it used to). The usual topic for small talks are politics, but I really want to avoid that because I find it is so divisive; community matters which unfortunately I'm less involved in since I tend to stay at home; sons/daughters married or not, new grandsons/daughters but unfortunately none of my sons are married yet. I can't talk about physics (bore others to death) or even something on academia (tend to degenrate to politics as well). 

This quiet personality can also cause problems for me. In the past, I have been called horrible and people preferred not to sit with me. Some would probably say I am a snob but really, I am not (can check with those who know me well). At times, I have seen people making faces (at me), some even with disgust. While I was in management, I did try hard to improve my social skills but not to the point of rubbing shoulders with my superiors (and perhaps because of this, I fell out of favour?). Despite I may not have many years left, I will still try to improve my social skils (at least not to embarrass my family).

No comments: