Wednesday, February 17, 2021

What Keeps Me Up At Night?

In my previous post, I mentioned that I was not sleeping well the last several days. Despite being tired, let me show you an example of what kept me awake for the last few days:



Yup, essentially unfinished work that I need to do for students. The pics above are just part of a solution to a question of an assignment I have given to students to help them prepare for their final exam. It is actually just book work; a formula that appears in the text book that I have used for the course on Statistical Mechanics. Have not been getting the terms and factors right for the last few days and it drove me a little crazy. It is actually the specific heat for the boson gas above the critical temperature. It involves polylogarithm function and its expansion. Was the topic out of the ordinary? I look up older books to see if it is also in there. They were there, usually with different notation, but most of the time, it is just given without referring to where it comes from or how is it derived. So I did the work and finally got it right as was in the book. What I scribbled was not elegantly done, but I had enough of it. Usually, I would type it out properly but in this case, I was just too tired and simply scanned it as a separate file and attached them to an earlier solution (which calculates the entropy). There were other questions for which I have done the solutions too, one of which was problematic because it uses a different expansion from the one mentioned in the book. Hope what I have given them helps. Now, I have to move to other things - just had some messages from another class. Just to give an idea of what's involve in my teaching.

Recap from the last episode: my youngest son had to quarantine himself since he received the news that his class-mate was infected with Covid-19. We have been waiting since morning for instructions what to do next. Just came in, the ministry of health officials will be coming to the school and they will conduct the swab test for the whole class tomorrow (not stated when). Meanwhile, we will be keeping an eye on him to see whether he developed any symptoms.

To be continued ...

No comments: