Monday, June 14, 2021

The Talk for ICAAMM 2021

All last week, my mind was occupied with the preparation of the talk I need to give at ICAAMM 2021 hosted Biruni University. Before that, I was still figuring out what to talk on - I had a few ideas in mind. However, I wanted to talk on something new and kept searching for ideas. When the organizers asked for my abstract, I settled with something I was comfortable with, namely, quantization. I had given a similar talk way back in 2012 in IIUM's conference ICAST. I thought I will just update the talk with more materials and recent developments. In this way, I already had some basic slides that I could use. During the preparation all last week, I changed a few times on how I should organize the talk but the main core is still to highlight the different philosophy of two main schools of quantization i.e. geometric quantization and deformation quantization. The initial idea was ambitious but with only 40 minutes given, I have to settle with a simpler talk.

The bulk of contributions to the conference seems to be coming from the community of researchers in fractional calculus, a topic I knew very little about. So in a way, my talk is slightly at odds with the rest. Another invited speaker who was supposed to talk on quantum stuff even change his topic to a different one, I guess, to fit the different audience. I carried with my own quantization talk, regardless. My talk was on Saturday (10.40 Istanbul time and 3.40 pm locally). Below are pics at the beginning of my talk (courtesy of Prof. Aydin Secer). They did a recording of the talk (not sure where it will be published) and there was also FB live (possibly still available on FB).



The talk went OK, I guess, but there were several things on my mind that I did not get quite to say in the talk (as usual). Below is a pic of the closing ceremony with all the invited speakers.


I attended most of the invited talks apart from the late evening ones on the first day, which includes Prof. Maslina Darus and Prof. Adem Kilicman (the other Malaysian representatives). Sorry guys, I was just too tired. I guess it is the age factor. I get tired easily these days and will easily fall asleep (in spite of me wishing to do more work).

It is certainly an honour to be invited to give talks and the invitation has always come from outside. Perhaps, within my work place, not much interest goes into what I do. I hope that will change after say another decade because I don't think one can ignore theoretical physics or quantum sciences for a physics department. The more we ignore, the more difficult for us to catch up in these very technical areas. Anyway, I have put in quite a bit of work to make my talks of some international and respectable level (I think). 



No comments: