Thursday, April 01, 2021

Hospital Visit

Today was the funeral for my nephew Nashruddin Ahmad Tajuddin. The janazah prayers was performed at Masjid Al-Muhsinin. With deep regrets, I did not go due to the scheduled early time, the distance, the limit in number (20 attendees) and the complications that come with inter-state travel. My brother Nordin (within the same state) went for the funeral prayers.

I took leave today because my intent is to visit my brother Ahmad Tajuddin who suffered a stroke and is in University of Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC). Despite my leave, I gave my Special Relativity two-hour lecture in the morning and my other half went to work in her clinic for half-day. As I prepared the documents for requesting permission for interstate travel, I received the message that my brother was unconscious and in a critical state. I went to the police station and showed all the necessary documents and hoping that we are given the permission to do the travel. Alhamdulillah, we were given that permission. As soon as my other half reached home, we begin our travel to UMMC. We also contacted my sister-in-law to assist us when we get there (much indebted to her).

Due to Covid-19 pandemic, the hospital impose strict regulations and in normal circumstances, no visitors are allowed at all. For critical patients, only the closest relatives are given special permission. All visitors need to go for proper scanning and obtain an 'entry visa' online. Initially, I thought we just need MySejahtera to scan the QR code, but this won't work. Luckily I still have my ordinary QR code scanner still installed in my mobile phone. Note that scanning the QR code only gets you into the hospital buildings and not the wards. For entrance into the wards are only for exceptional cases of critical cases as I was informed.


As I went in, I saw my brother lying there on the bed unconscious with a machine ventilator to help with his breathing. Recited Qur'anic verses for him and my eyes just swelled with tears. I can't imagine the grief my brother had felt when he lost his son that led him to be in this condition. I pray that he will be given the strength to regain consciousness and be healthy again. Later, my other half and son who was with us, went in one by one as we are not allowed to be there for long and in groups.


No comments: