Friday, August 21, 2020

Less Undesirable Information for a Better World

Today I left a WhatsApp group because I can't stand the discussion in the group which is just too personal to be discussed wide open. Months earlier I also have left our local neighbourhood WhatsApp because I got offended by some remarks. I supposed I could have just muted the group. In FB, I tend to unfollow a person because most of the person's posts tend to be insulting and offensive. I think we don't need this kind of posts to get on with life; what more if you prefer a peaceful life. We are already overloaded with unnecessary information and we get them directly on our social media walls and to our phones. So deleting or ignoring some of them may be beneficial. For those friends in these WhatsApp groups, my apologies and despite I'm not in these groups, I still value our good friendship.

My rule of thumb on social media is not to post or say things there what I would not dare say face-to-face out of respect or observing etiquette. At my worst, I will probably say something very general and not directed to any particular person or group of individuals, for the sake of drawing lessons. Even in posting such lessons, one needs to be careful because I have seen posts that show parts of documents that are supposed not to be revealed in public e.g. confidential reviews of papers. If there is a need to be specific, then paraphrasing would be better. However most posts on social media are simply rants (the urge of needing to be heard), and most rants just simply aggravate problems and not solve them. 

Just a few days ago, I read a tweet (or rather a tweet that a particular person liked) that I find so disturbing. The content of the tweet seem to have the effect of treating others being less human, something that I could not ever tolerate. How on earth they could feel that way? Even with all the dislikes one can have, the common thread of humanity should never be given up. Finally I had to unfollow the person and I have lost my respect for that person. This is probably going to the extreme end.

The tweet reminded me of (almost) racial insinuations that I had to face in my pursuit of an intellectual life in theoretical physics. This perhaps had pushed me to struggle to understand more and more difficult topics, so that I can see myself to be a potential equivalent. The tweet prompted me to post this on FB: "I think we should get ourselves out from the stereotyping that we (race, region or whatever) can't do quantum sciences or other sciences that are perceived to be difficult. Some just need us to grow accustomed to and of course we need to do the hard work. The more we delay this, the harder for us to catch-up."

How a person treat others is one important factor that I looked into, in an individual. Some of my decisions in the past have taken these into account. A person who see more of his or her self and looked down on others is simply one that I will have less trust for. I would hope that such a person will not be appointed as leader, much due to the potential damage that the person could possibly do. Instead humbling lessons for the person would be better for his or her life as well as others. I have my own share of humbling lessons and I believe most conscientious people will also have. By having such lessons, one will grow to be a better person and hopefully will make this world a better one.

No comments: