Saturday, January 27, 2024

Meta-Break

Yesterday, I decided to take a break from one social media platform that I have frequently used. There are too many posts that depressed me, particularly those on local academia shaming. Are we (us in local academia) that hopeless? I am not trying to defend any academic wrongdoings or flaws here (note that they are not unique to our local environment as I have pointed out a few times), but I simply wish that there are more posts that paint the positive parts of local academia. Most disappointing are those posts that downgrade others only to make him or herself look better. They don't solve problems but worse, only reinforce stereotypes.

Not sure how long this break will be but I prefer to find things that inspire me or make myself better. Been looking into videos of reverts talking about their stories, videos of tourist vloggers describing the many good things that our country has (often glossed over by ourselves), videos on many facets of this complex life, and of course lectures that will help me prepare for my next life. Just like before, I hope to renew myself in the little window of time that I have left.


No comments: