Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Grinding Affairs in Quantum Realm

This week, I have completed all my marking for the final exams and also the assignments. I misunderstood about the last day of submitting all the marks to the exam unit to be Monday (meaning before Tuesday 12 midnight). I was contacted that about the matter by phone, stating that the deadline is Monday but before 12 noon. Serves me right for procrastinating. In any case it was just the marks for Electrodynamics that I needed to upload and I did it in time. Yesterday, I was told that I need to send the exam scripts for marking moderation. I did that after finishing an online meeting that begins at 2.30pm. It was raining heavily at 4pm and I asked my eldest son to drive us (with my other half) to XMUM since my eyesight (and driving) is not so good. Reaching there, met Dr. Siti Khatijah and Dr. Zaidan at the office. After finishing some exam matters, we decide to have early dinner together (with my family) at The Grind in front of XMUM.



Still on the exams, just this morning we had the department's exam board meeting and I learned how things are done in XMUM. We still have another thing to do, which is the teaching portfolio that everyone has to do before the semester ends. Job not finished yet.

The meeting before the trip to XMUM was basically for a proposal paper 'subcommittee' for the event that we are planning ahead of the International Year of Quantum Science & Technology in 2025. I gave my views on the matter (particularly the socio-political background) and the need for an organization or institution to take ownership of the event (and not simply by group of individuals as was initially done). I'm not quite sure how my views are perceived by others but I have no hidden agenda behind the views and they are meant to help rather than hinder. We do have the proposed consortium/coalition MyQI, though as far as I know, this has yet to be endorsed by respective partner universities (and hence it is not really official). It is best taken up by MyQI perhaps in collaboration with some recognised body while waiting for its own official recognition. There will probably be voices of concern whether we are ready for this or not, but those in the area should champion the idea (of the event or the organization); I do not expect anyone else (from say materials science or photonics or philosophy of science) to champion it; we have to do this ourselves and one must show our own belief in its importance. MyQI was a good start but in a way we are rather late in comparison with our neighbours. Some weeks ago, a colleague send this picture below showing Malaysia's absence in the quantum scene.


Listed in the pic are Thailand and Philippines on their investment in quantum science & technology. Singapore is already at the forefront together with western countries. Even Indonesia has started off with their BRIN Research Center for Quantum Physics (see also this interview). You might find this odd that Malaysia is not already in the scene. My Singapore colleague actually told me that it is known to them that there were individual efforts scattered around the country making good progress in quantum S&T but these have not being brought into a national concerted effort. There were actually earlier efforts to apply for a big grant together with my colleague in IIUM and other friends but the application was not successful. In a defence of the proposal, an official even told straight to my face, the project was too ambitious and will not work. It is always the case that our decision-makers tend to have poor views on our capabilities and that outsiders appreciate better on what we have been trying to do. Another attempt was during my days with INSPEM, hoping to collaborate with a national body but then Covid came and poof goes the idea. Let us just hope that MyQI will have better success in putting up a national cooperation in this important area. Of course, I now consider myself now as an outsider (riding off into the sunset) but I will give my full support to such cooperation.

On personal side, my family has been busy with matters of the husband of my sister-in-law who is now warded in IJN. My other half and eldest son have already visited him there. I was not able to go because of the commitment with exam matters and meetings. They have run tests on him (again) and found that there are two blockages and the problematic valve which requires surgery. When this will be, has yet to be known.


May Allah grant him recovery and good health.


No comments: