Sunday, November 19, 2023

Student Evaluation, Conference Weekend, & Wall Shouts

During mid-week last week, I just got my students' evaluation for the subjects I'm teaching in XMUM and it was ok. I also received some criticisms (being slow, which I have mentioned here). On another point, I did introduce vector calculus at the beginning since they are very much used in electrodynamics. I do know that they are often taught elsewhere usually in the early years of the bachelor programme. But my main point of revisiting the topic was to introduce index notation, which could be used in electrodynamics. When I asked about index notation, I was told that they were not taught about this technique and thus my insistence to introduce it. When I was an undergraduate student, it was introduced by Prof. Green earlier in our theoretical physics programme (and done in an abstract sense). It also has great utility for (general) calculations. 



Anyway, I'm happy to improve my teaching wherever and whenever possible. I have also checked the second part courses of Electrodynamics and Mathematical Methods in Physics. Electrodynamics II seems to be more engineering in flavour and I hope that I will not be asked to teach this, if ever Xiamen still wants me to teach. Mathematical Methods in Physics II seems to be interesting because it is on differential geometry and (geometry of) Lie groups. I won't mind teaching this.

This weekend, we went to Melaka because my other half has a conference there. She was given a hotel room on Saturday (midway through the conference) by the organizers. We decided to book a room anyway from Friday until the weekend because partly she has to be there early morning Saturday but also we have to send back our youngest back to college in Jasin. So there we were there at Hatten Hotel on Friday late afternoon. The hotel is connected to Pahlawan Mall. Here we are (pic) trying to get to the mall for dinner via a connecting bridge.


We had our dinner in a restaurant there.


This is the view just outside the hotel and interestingly there is an MMA office nearby there.



My other half conference ends at 1pm today. We checked out of our rooms before 12 noon and thereafter we waited for my other half to meet us, in the meanwhile we were having snacks.


Leaving Melaka city, we send Izzuddin back to college and then travelled back to Seremban.

I still follow the development of the war in Middle East. Right now, there are over 12,000 dead in just slightly over a month. The latest news I heard that As-Shifa hospital was evacuated and that a UN-run Al-Fakhoura School was bombed leaving many children dead. I continue to share news items to my social media in the hope that there will be international pressure to halt this madness. I do try to read or listen or watch commentaries that carry opposite views to mine (with difficulty) and they can be classed into three:

  • Rational-like arguments; most of these are easily countered with facts or shown to be inconsistent.
  • Cringey arguments; often these are based on underlying assumptions that one side is more evil and the other more superior. Here, I tend to wonder how can that be that many are blinded with this colonialist mindset. What are the logics at play?
  • Blatant horrifying racist arguments taken with no room for rational thoughts; often here I can't bear to listen/watch any of these.
How should one make judgements, so that one is rightly guided? While I'm a simple average Muslim, I do know of the Qur'anic ayat:
O you who have believed, be persistently standing firm for Allah , witnesses in justice, and do not let the hatred of a people prevent you from being just. Be just; that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what you do. (5: 8)
Another is the Golden Rule (which is well-known to non-Muslims alike)
Treat others as you would like others to treat you
These will act as constraints to our own biasness. Do the research needed. In this age of social media, it is very easy to do that but it also means it will be quite easy to be misled. On making mistakes, be humble enough to admit them and be quick about these (no to let one's ego to take over). I remembered sharing posts with my family members and later I knew these to be false, and thus I apologised and clarified the matter.

Perhaps one can listen to Anna Baltzer in her Ted Talk.


One should also watched her documentary "Life in Occupied Palestine".

While going through materials on the current war, I stumbled to this young talent MC Abdul. I recommend people to listen to his videos.






Peace to all.

No comments: