Wednesday, July 05, 2023

Reorganizing Complex Network Papers & A Zoo VIsit

Yesterday, I spent my time rearranging my collection of papers on complex networks and related topics. In my last post, I have already mentioned that the initial space for these papers are already filled up but I have still several papers on this topic lying around. So I decided to swap the space for high energy physics papers with that of complex networks. While doing this, I decided to arrange the complex network topics into some subtopics.

The largest pile seems to be on scientific collaboration network and related topics of citation network, scientometrics and papers from Research Policy journals. This is due to I had a student working on collaboration network before this while scientometrics and research policy papers was due to my involvement in management. I do think some of these can be useful in doing informed decision making but this is only done very cautiously. The pic below shows the collaboration network pile and the top paper sums up the subject.


The next largest pile of papers are the theoretical papers including mathematical papers of graph theory and statistics. This pile will go in front layer of the cabinet space since I am more interested in this.


Out of this collection, I separated out the papers of Tomasso Aste which had me interested in exploring complex networks. In actual fact, I initially wanted my students to explore this (but perhaps it was too difficult)


In fact, my first student on complex networks decided to work on stock correlation networks. Lumped together with this is corporate networks, finance & trading networks. These give the third largest pile. Other smaller piles are social & information networks, networks in condensed matter (which could easily merged in the theory papers), biological networks, geographical & transportation networks.

Fast forward to today, my family decided to make a trip to our national zoo. My other half has been wanting to see the pandas (after watching them on tik-tok). The parents to these pandas have been returned to China (see this news article). I did not go with them since I was not in a joyous mood. Here are some pics.






The time of their visit did not coincide with the shows that was on tik-tok; instead the pics are just the pandas lazing around. The only show they get to see was the one with seals.


They did not quite get to see all parts of the zoo because it takes a lot of ground to cover (they were saying that I would be exhausted if I were to go with them).

Later in the evening, I saw my name appeared in a poster of this year's National Physics Conference. Technically, my name should appear without the Associate Professor title since I have retired from UPM (and hence no affiliation was given).



No comments: