Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Music Interest and Discovering Putri Ariani

This post will be different, prompted by my discovery of Putri Ariani who had won a golden buzzer in AGT and became an internet sensation with reaction videos mushrooming. I quickly shared her audition video on FB just a few hours after it was released. I will not be doing any reaction video but I will 'react' in this post. I don't normally do this (I hesitated a few times, composing and deleting) and prefer to post things on what I am involved in personally. Perhaps what I'll do first is to write on a side of me that many do not know, namely my musical interest.

My music interest largely stems from my musician brother who introduced to me, many non-commercial musicians/groups, while I was in school. Even before my teens, I was already listening to avant-garde music groups like Henry Cow. I do listen to commercial music as well, but there is a tendency to like more progressive music. I do not have any music training at all; tried learning guitar up to the point of learning scales but ability-wise I just strum chords. My musician brother too was mostly ear-trained, though (I believe) he had some lessons from Yamaha and had followed courses by snail mail. My other brothers too had some musical interests. Sometimes, I was asked to sing at early age as one of my brother was learning guitar, but I don't consider myself that good. Here is a picture of my family band called De Keluarga 65 (65 was referring to our home address) in Tanjung Malim (at the time I was either 7 or 8 years old).

It was only in high school that I took up the drums (with no training at all apart from drumming on tables) and we formed a band called T-Blues Band to compete in the school talent competition. We didn't win at first but for a second competition, we did win.



I remembered initially, I need to get the hands-feet coordination right first, and thereafter learning how to make them independent. I wanted to play in a more progressive setting, which was not there at the time, despite blues band is considered 'underground' for a school band (as opposed to popular songs cover band). For that, I have to go elsewhere.

I had fond memories of seeing my musician brother play in his band. At one time, he had (if I'm not mistaken) build up a 12 piece band (with horn section). The band took up the name of Bolts, Screws & Nuts, in the fashion of well-known band of Blood, Sweat & Tears and Earth, Wind & Fire. When the group members became fewer, the name was shortened to The Screw, but some found it offensive. Finally, he had a three-piece band and he called it Sour Grapes (in contrast to names like Sweet 'something'). During this time, I remembered sneaking into the room where they practiced and played the drums (attempting to play jazz). Later, I was scolded by my brother for fear of damaging the instruments (which I understand the concern), which are not ours. I remembered the first 'real' instrument that he had personally was a Yamaha electric guitar, bought by my parents after some years (before that it was just merely the Kapok guitar). At some point, he had a Roland keyboard but I wasn't sure it was his. I brought this up merely to state that one has to be well-off (not just mere talent) to get a good start of a musician career and income is more often than not, uncertain. This will have a bearing with what I can assume of Putri Ariani's entrance to the music world. Right now, he is joining Kamarul's group (husband of my niece), Geng Wak Long. Had the pleasure to bring him to one INSPEM event (SEAMS School) and like our staff was saying, it was jaw-dropping.


My music exploration continued while I was studying in Adelaide. During the holidays, I would hire drum set to play along with records and sometimes with friends.



The first picture is during a jam session with guitarist Mustafa Ramly and Haris (bass). We played some Police and Dire Straits songs (if I remembered correctly). Mustafa later played for Zainal Abidin of Hijau fame. By the way, I should say that Kamarul is a professional musician (percussions & traditional instruments) who have played with famous pop stars like Siti Nurhaliza.

Even during my PhD, I got the chance to learn and play gamelan from Simon Steptoe and Margaret (also learned mbira from Jackie - see https://www.facebook.com/profile/1355208706/search/?q=mbira). The Durham Gamelan played at a few local events. The biggest event that we had joined was the Island to Island Festival in London (see pics).







Back in UPM, some people found out I could play a little guitar and sing (I guess others could too but did not want to show their talent) and was invited to perform a few times in some local events. The last one was during a farewell dinner to our second director. I hesitated most of the time to play because guitar is not my main instrument. I did play drums once in UPM but there were no pics or (published) record for that performance.

Now, to the main subject of this blog post. It was by accident, I saw Putri Ariani audition video on my (personalized) YouTube page (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyb0ExKOE4w). She sang and played piano (despite being blind; I realised that she preferred to be identified as a musician rather than as a blind person) beautifully. During her introduction to the judges, she mentioned her dream being a diva and winning a Grammy, Simon Cowell's face changed a little, perhaps apprehensive on this big dream. But the next thing she said was her wish to go to Julliard College of Music, Simon nodded, understood that it was not just an empty dream. She performed well and has quite a vocal range, but the ones that got me are her riffs and runs. When Simon asked for a second song, she sang Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word, which to me is really appropriate as the song starts off with "What (have) I got to do to make you love me? What (have) I got to do to make you care?". Perhaps asking Simon in a way. After her performance and during the judge comments, it was then only known that the first song is her own composition (entitled Loneliness). See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFwkAOmEKSk for a live performance with a band, which has a different feel. The song is catchy but perhaps the English lyrics can be improved (just a friendly constructive criticism). I also looked up her other performances. The one that got quite a positive reaction response is her cover of Bohemian Rhapsody (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex86OdnRSp0). Her take and twist on it was really tasteful, making it a really good ballad - love the phrase "Carry on, carry on, as if nothing really matters" and how she ends with the last phrase. I have also checked out her cover Brian McKnight's song "One Last Cry" (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouPqUyKQ26Q). The video is a duet with Claudia Emmanuela Santoso, another Indonesian and a winner of The Voice of Germany. Too bad, no one has reacted to this as yet; they are both great singers. Now, if you think that she can only sing ballads, then one should check her cover of Bruno Mars' "Locked Out of Heaven" - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fZ3VITouf0 - the band has great sound. Again, too bad that it has yet to receive a wider attention. She has also not forgotten her roots; here she is covering an Acheh folk song - see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm0Ae1hCqyk. She has also covered some Islamic songs (see e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB5cKbR64rg) and recited al-Qur'an on her channel. I hope she can really win AGT. She probably needs a new edge to outcompete other talents; just today, I saw Roland Abante (from Philippines, with a story) and Alfie Andrews (from England, 12 years old) and they are good. Personalitywise, she is very positive, bright and cheerful (see her podcast interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOwP531XfwM). An important fact, is her parents' full support and they must be quite well-off to have her started a music career (as I pointed out earlier). On another point, we were told that she has already got a scholarship to go to Julliard. I hope she learns more from there, particularly on keyboards and on composition. May Allah guide her and give her the success she wants and continue to inspire people (like me).



No comments: