Tuesday, August 09, 2022

The Day I Got Covid

It was Monday morning and it was raining heavily. In my mind, I will surely be late. I was not really well to start with but I was thinking that it was only my severe back pain and some constant headache that I had in the weekend, making me feverish (happened before). I arrived in campus at about 8.30am but by the time I punched it was already 8.40pm. Met Chan at the car park and he told me that there was a faculty meeting. I didn't have breakfast that morning but I decided to go along with Chan to the Faculty meeting.

The attendees were greeted by the Dean and we were reminded how important is the Faculty meeting. So it was a guilt trip early in the morning. Have not been attending the meetings for some time. I had my reasons while I was in admin in the institute (based on some understanding I had during formation of the institutes but some would dispute that particularly those who were pretty young in the admin) but after that, I guess I had no real reason of not attending. I did go to some of the virtual ones but this would be the first time of face-to-face meeting after awhile. As the meeting went on beyond two hours, my body could no longer stand the strain. I was feverish. When I got up from my seat, I almost fell (experiencing giddiness) and Nizam sort of led me out of the meeting room. As I was walking back to my office, I was literally dragging my feet and I thought something was really wrong. It was later in the afternoon, I developed some bad cough (and later in the evening, a runny nose). As soon as I get home, told my wife to purchase a Covid-19 self-test kit. By the time, she got it, I was already too tired and slept.

I got up just before 3am and decided to take my blood sugar test as well as the Covid self-test. As I suspected, I was positive for Covid-19.


I immediately reported this to MySejahtera and had this in my profile.


I immediately messaged Chan and Nurisya who were sitting besides me in the meeting and asked them to their own testing. For Nizam, I asked for their help to notify him. I also notified the office about the matter. I went back to sleep thereafter. As soon as I got up, I updated my profile and found the home surveillance order.


So it seems I will be out of action until 15 August. I also found this page containing the procedure for close contacts. So, it seems there is no need for quarantine unless they are developing symptoms and a self-test is required. I find myself on another guilty trip by being in the meeting or even coming to office. However I need to come to office to give the seminar marks to the officer in charge in the Faculty. It seems I can only load up the seminar marks (which I did on Saturday) for those that have FSA codes, while for those with SPS codes, they did not appear in my IGIMS portal. I do hope that the attendees of the meeting will not blame me of being irresponsible. I would not have gone to the meeting or even to office, if I knew I had Covid.

Today, I was mostly resting and tried to do a little work but I got tired easily. I opened the sliding door for better ventilation. I do hope that none of my family members will catch Covid.


At the time of writing, I'm still having cough and runny nose; my body is simply tired to do anything that requires sitting long or too much focus. Sleepy already.

No comments: