Wednesday, December 22, 2021

122221@59

No, I'm not referring to Matrix Resurrection release date but today is my 59th birthday. I was about to rush to work this morning and for this I need to fill up the university's Covid-19 declaration form online. I normally do this after Fajr prayers or the latest just before going to work. This morning, however, I could not access the website - tried a few times but I could not. Tried various other websites of the university and none of them accessible. I had to make a quick decision whether I should go to the office or not, fearing the whole university network is down and I have an online class at 9am. I tried to check with my colleagues and even students to see if they can access the university websites. I did not get any reply within the time frame I want. So I told my other half that I will do my work at home and will apply for emergency leave once the university's website is ok. Note that I have no intention of skipping work that day despite today is my 'birthday'.

It was 7.58 am that some websites seems to be up but there was no ability to do the authentication. It was about half an hour later that this seems possible rather sluggishly. By then, I had to prepare for my class. Even after class, there seems to be problems with authentication as I was trying to apply for emergency leave. It was about noon that I got to do it. In any case, I did my work as scheduled. I had a 3pm appointment with my MSc student and we discussed rather lengthily. We finished just before 5pm. Was it really a leave? Not in the sense that I wanted.

It was only after Maghrib that my family celebrated my birthday by buying some special meals and ice-cream cake. Usually I will post this on the social media but given the flood situation, I decided not to. People are suffering due to the flood and some even lost their loved ones. Some might perceived that one is being insensitive about the matter. I remembered posting about the 50 year celebration on Saturday (we were at a wedding) and was already receiving veiled criticisms (usually from those whom I do not know personally). I would usually ignore such criticisms from those I do not know well. Many of the times are just trivial things e.g. bought my Chevrolet Malibu car (some commented about the car is actually bought on loan); got my vaccine shot (some commented that I was being insensitive to those who has not received their vaccination); and even my postings on cats got criticised. Normally I do these posts just simply to record some personal events in my life and they are not meant for showing off. I even use the social media to post things that I find interesting, so that I can read or refer to them later. I guess it is always the case that there will always be people who dislike whatever posts one makes.

So for this birthday, I will just simply post it here, which is less intrusive (only those who follows my blog will read it). So here are some pics.




Being 59, a year away from official retirement, I just want my life to be peaceful, not to worry about unnecessary matters. I hope to clear my heart from any form of ill feelings. Will continue to strive to be better.

No comments: