Monday, October 18, 2021

Mid-October Update

Our third son, Izhar has just went back to his college in IIUM yesterday, being a final year student. It was my other half and my eldest son who sent him off. Had to refrain from travelling too much as I am suffering from a bad episode of back pain. What has really triggered it, I'm not particularly sure but it was after my travel to work early last week. I was supposed to be in the office all five days a week but by Wednesday, it seems my back took a beating. Early Thursday morning, I was on pain killers and hence took emergency leave to rest for the next two days. The pain subsided but my right leg seems to be quite weak and my other half suggested to me take another MRI test. Let's see how this week goes.

Renovations update: Yesterday, the contractor stopped work to follow our request to please our neighbours and so far we have not received any further complains (but this may be due to the present work of only wiring and plastering). Here is a picture taken last Saturday.


Besides the kids' room, we will be retiling our own bedroom and removing the attic to be replaced by cabinets for my collection of papers and books. I was forced to throw some of the old papers I had (recycling them rather) and saving their electronic versions instead. A lot of sieving to be done. The work for the room downstairs (to be enlarged) and the kitchen (to reduce in size) has yet to start. So long way to go and our lives are pretty much disrupted at this point.

Today, I will start lecturing again and I'm teaching both Statistical Mechanics and Mathematical Methods in Physics for this semester. Last week, the new students came for their registration and we had online meeting with them (see pic below). I saw that I was not assigned as academic advisor to any of the new students, perhaps due to my retirement around the corner. We also had our new physics curriculum, which will have a new course on quantum information. Kudos to the curriculum committee.


Ok, back to work of preparing lectures (and I should also get some sleep).


No comments: