Thursday, August 22, 2024

New Eateries, Old Guard and Teaching Anew

Last weekend, as my son Izhar came home, we decided to explore new eateries that have just opened in Centrio. First, was Mee Tarik restaurant serving the famous traditional Chinese Muslim cuisine. It is located nearby the US Pizza restaurant there. We did not know what to expect but my sons ordered rice with chicken and me with my other half ordered fried noodles. To our surprise, the fried noodles were really spicy and we could not really finished and shared it with our son. We had to order extra drinks (air kosong) to help cool our mouths and throats. Perhaps we should have taken the noodle soup instead, maybe next time.





The other eatery is a Nasi Kandar Daun Pisang restaurant. It is located nearby the 99 Speedmart there. It used to be our breakfast location for roti canai and nasi lemak, operated by young Malay guys. We were told that they have moved elsewhere (Senawang?). The new restaurant do not serve roti canai but only dishes served with banana leaf including nasi lemak. The food was good.



Few days ago, somebody posted a picture of the first generation of lecturers at the Physics Department in UPM. I decided to put this here for my own keeping.


From left to right in the back row are Prof. Mohd Yusof Sulaiman, the late Tn Hj. Shamsuddin Mahmood, Dr. Jamil Suradi, an international lecturer (name unknown), another international lecturer (name unknown), Dr. Poh Lee King, Prof. Azmi Zakaria. In the front row are AP Dr. Wan Daud Wan Yusoff, AP Dr. Zainal Abidin Sulaiman, the late AP Dr. Shaharin Ibrahim, AP Dr. Salleh Harun, Dr. Rahim Omar, Prof. Kaida Khalid, Prof. Mohd Maarof Moksin. I was fortunate to have met all of them when I joined UPM, except the unknown international lecturers.

This pic had me initiated to find a pic of the late Dr. Osman Ese, the first theoretical physicist in the department. Unfortunately, I could not find any but instead I found these online from UPM Annual Reports for 1973-74 and 1974-75 respectively:



So, I did not know that Wan Sulaiman Wan Harun was our first head of department (at least acting). I had the impression that Dr. Osman Ese was our first head somehow. The second head was Dr/ Wan Daud, with whom I have commuted from Seremban to UPM in the past. I am not sure whether the younger lecturers at the department know about all these. This generation of lecturers deserve our respect for building the department from scratch.

Failing to find a picture of Dr. Osman Ese, I looked for his PhD thesis and I can only find the following:

It seems that it is not available online and one would have to request for it (and probably pay for this). The papers of Dr. Osman Ese are however available (need subscription).



I hope that our younger colleagues will be able to collect these documents for historical records.

Just yesterday, I received the contract letter for part-time teaching in XMUM and thus, will be my second time there but now in the Maths Department. In the beginning, I did not expect I will be teaching there again since I was hoping to get a job elsewhere (seems not forthcoming). Then some weeks ago, the head of Maths Dept contacted me if I would be interested to do part-time teaching. Not having a job and I could use the extra income to pay my bills, I agreed. I will be teaching Quantitative Methods (which is essentially Applied Calculus) and Linear Algebra. So, yesterday, I ordered the two reference books online and they cost me a fortune (around RM1300). Hoping I will get to teach well this time.

No comments: