Sunday, February 04, 2024

Resurrecting Blogs and Segamat Trip

It has been one month past into the new year. The Middle-East humanitarian crisis still goes on despite the move made by South Africa at ICJ. The situation is so sickening and here is how some want to perceive it.

Anyway, may Allah help the oppressed and change the unjust power structure of the world; the least one can do is to make do'a. 

Last Wednesday was also the last day of my current contract with XMUM. I'm back with reliance only on my pension pay to get through our expenses. The next (long) semester will be in April and let's see if I'm still needed there to teach. With the end of my teaching duties, I'm a bit free to do things that I want. I resurrected my more technical blogs: Ketchup Spills and Acu Frekuensi. The latter blog is my blog in Malay language and I rebooted it with a discussion of a better term for gauge theories; currently the term 'tolok' comes from rain gauge, which is not quite the way gauge is understood in gauge theories. The other blog is done on wordpress platform because it has Latex command capabilities, allowing one to be able to write mathematical equations easily. This blog got rebooted with a topic that I was asked to look into Benford's law. This topic surprised me in some way (not knowing about it) and this law may have wide applications (e.g. fraud data detection). With my limited reading, I'm still puzzled what is really operating underlying these laws. I likened this topic very much like, say power law distribution in complex networks. One may say that it is about information but deep down, I feel there is some disconnect with how the various actual systems work. All of these reminded me of how stereotypes work, with information of the majority (whatever distribution is taken) shapes the stereotype but yet such majority is subject to (the dynamical) change. Back to Benford's law, I was also surprised how deep and exploratory this topic can be; hard-core theoretical probability and dynamical systems, which I think is promising.

Last Friday, we went back to Segamat to visit the husband of my sister-in-law who is due to undergo some heart procedures. Currently he is a bit better than before after receiving medications from IJN. Also, my second son came from JB to see him (he did not have the opportunity) before. Here are some pics at a cendol store.




We went back home yesterday, reaching home before Maghrib. We can't leave our cats for too long.




No comments: