Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Varia: 'Exam' in Progress

I have promised myself that I would not blog until I made significant progress with my preparation for the final exams of the two subjects I am teaching. Breaking partially this promise as I have one subject more to go. Pretty stressed up but as they say, only the person experiencing it knows the actual pain involved. Many things have gone past and I need to record them.

First, my involvement in PERFIK 2023. I was asked by the Program Chair to chair at least one session and I remembered this was asked even before I had officially joined XMUM as a part-time lecturer. I agreed to help but I did not know at the time, I was listed as a committee (and my role as advisor was only known to me after the event on checking the website - note my null affiliation).


It has been a while since I have joined any conference event. Perhaps the last one I attended was the one in India (see this post - actually I was unwell at the time). So one the day itself, I did my part though I must say on my mind, was the deadline for the final exam materials on the following Friday. The session I was chairing was on Astronomy and Theoretical Physics. 


Perhaps, some might say that chairing talks is an easy task but if one is really responsible is to note that (besides time-keeping) the heavy part is to encourage people to interact (ask questions). So if there are no questions from the audience, the chairperson might have to start the ball rolling. This requires one to be attentive to the contents of the talk. I asked a few questions myself in some of the talks and this was quite easy for me because I do want to learn something from the talks.

I still follow the genocide happening in Ghazza, Palestine. It has now reached almost 20,000 people killed and about two million people displaced. Simply madness. I have been listening to many podcasts and commentaries on this issue. Some include views of Refaat Alareer, reporting live from Ghazza. At the time I did not know that he was a UPM alumni (see news item here). After the pic below appeared, then I remembered about one piece of news of an academic staff being listed on the watchlist of the States denying the person's entry but the person contested the matter.


Some videos worth watching of Refaat are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0RaHuEjqi0 and his poem "I Am You" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZE7YnRIXtg

I do worry about our future if there is 'an end' to the present tragedy. There are news report that Ghazza has been used as testing ground for weapons. This includes an AI system called Habsora, to set up targets in Ghazza (certainly not the way AI should be used - somehow I was reminded of the film Minority Report). Some might wonder why I'm (still) posting on this issue. For me it is a significant event in our times and matters to me as a human and as a Muslim. If others do not want to highlight this matter, it is their choice and I have mine.

Other developments: Through Suhaimi Napis efforts, we got reconnected with Moha Lhousni, our colleague in University of Durham. I remembered having his thesis (see below) and we had many discussions then.



Just recently, Moha send us this photo. I was told it was during 'Eid and I believe it is at Parsons Field House (our accommodation).


Nest, was my meet with Dr. Yap Yung Szen who was at XMUM to give a guest lecture in Prof. Paterek's class. We chatted a bit about work, admin and stuff. He showed me a single qubit and a 10-qubit chip that he brought along for his lecture there.



Finally, some time last week, Dr. Nurisya told me that they have cleared my old office. I was hoping to do these myself but sometime earlier I was told to return the key to my old office. I hope there are no valuable stuff being thrown away. I did mention that I will donate some books (in Malay) andthesis to the theory group.



I have to thank them (Dr. Nurisya, Dr. Chan and the students) for this help.

No comments: