Wednesday, April 06, 2022

Observing in Ramadhan and EQuals 2022

Today is the fourth of Ramadhan and April 6th. Went to office everyday (and stayed there the full hours) as a good kid. Saw some changes while I was driving to work the last few days, Saw more cars on the road since Monday. My initial thought is that this is probably because that from April 1st, the government has announced that Malaysia is on transition to an endemic phase. With more cars on the road, my travel to work will be more difficult (and riskier). The cars are even slower, causing even more congestion. It is a pity that we did not change too much our work lifestyle by allowing work from home (WFH), which would have made much more economical and environmentally sense. Even our earlier WFH announcement for academics was really premature; it was changed to the flexibility of punching-in at least once in campus for the day (yes, Malaysian academics have to punch-in, which surprises a lot of my international guests earlier). Malaysia has also opened its international borders and started to receive more international flights. Soon, my son who works at the airport will be even busier with more international flights coming in. His 'Eid holidays are already frozen and will have to be back at work by the second day of 'Eid.

As I arrived in campus early morning each day, I found that the parking spaces are filled up more than usual. Initially, I was surprised but then I guessed this is due to people getting up early for suhur and went to office early. Apparently, the university has implemented new flexible working hours, allowing staff to come to work as early as 7.30 am. This would allow staff to go home for iftar earlier in the evening. This flexibility would made sense for those who are living nearby the campus. but for me, if I wanted to be that early, I would have to go to work almost right after the Fajr prayers. I stick to the normal working hours and avoid the rush.

It is funny that given Ramadhan is a month of fasting, refraining from food during the day, our culture tend to make it more festive of food by the end of the day with all the Ramadhan bazaars opening up. There has been concern of food wastage during this fasting month and one should try to really reduce this. In the past, I would have to rush to the bazaars to get food for the family since both of us (me and my other half) are working and there is really no time for us to prepare food at home. Luckily, this time, there is a cafeteria in campus (behind the institute) that sells food for staff to bring home for iftar. Hence, whenever I'm free, I could grab some food before I get home and avoid the bazaars (usually packed with people). I am also consciously making our Ramadhan less about food and more about making additional prayers and Qur'an recitation and reflections. Let's hope it can stick that way, all the way.

Arriving home yesterday, they have finally finished our balcony near our room. The one which is not completed is our front gate.


I was in high spirits and looking forward to work the next day with first two students' presentations for the graduate seminar course. Then came a threatening message about record of university assets under my name that needs to be checked before I retire. Earlier I have been made aware about this but it came at a very bad time, while we were preparing for the final exams. These assets are really purchased around twenty years ago (while I was in a different institute) or more and it would take time to find their whereabouts. In the institute, I would have been helped by staff there but I guess I can't now. I remembered the former secretary to the department had to come to office after retiring just to search for lost assets under her name, purchased God knows when (really pitied her but now it is my turn). Could we do this differently and cared more for our own staff? For the rest of the day, I was worried and in a bad mood.

Luckily this very early morning, I have received some good news on a totally different thing. This lifted up my spirits back again. Next week, we will be organizing EQuaLS 2022, all organized by my younger colleague. I have distanced myself from any management matters and decision-making (both at the department and the institute). It is time for the younger staff to shine. The only thing I did, was to get Bob Coecke to speak at the event. This morning, I received an email from Bob that he will be giving a talk on "Quantum AI From High School Quantum Pictures". This sounds exciting and I look forward to the talk, which is a public talk on Quantum Day. I was given the honour to chair his talk. My younger colleague wanted to get me also for some opening remarks for the event but I have declined. I told her that we should do less of these ceremonial matters and leave the opening remark to the Director of the hosting institute. I hope the event will go well.


No comments: