Thursday, November 14, 2019

Ending My Deputy Directorship Part 2

Last evening, I have finally received the answer to my resignation as Deputy Director of INSPEM. My last day of duty will be on Friday, November 15, 2019.

I hope my resignation as Deputy Director is not taken negatively. It is not done with ill or rebellious intent. I have already conveyed my wish to step down even before the resignation letter. In fact, I have made precautionary measures by writing to the university mentioning that the institute needs a director. Note that this is done in view of other faculties and institutes have their deans or directors appointed irrespective of the changes to come and I don't see any reason why INSPEM has to be an exceptional case. If there is any side intent of my resignation, there is a small wish deep within me that with me leaving will give a nudge to the decision-makers to make some firm decisions regarding the institute. As I have said earlier, I still believe that INSPEM should continue to spearhead mathematical research in UPM but the final decision rests with the university. As a person who had to carry out the duties of the director (in absence of appointed director), I had to take into account the wishes of the (upper management of) university, the concerns of individuals in the institute and my own judgmental views. I have conveyed to the university what we have wished for. I hope the matter can be settled quickly without further delay.

I wish to mention here that all my actions are calculative (but constructive) in nature. I sometimes consider myself perhaps as a constraint or an extra variable that complicates solution that led to some form of stalemate situation. In mathematics, the way around this is to weaken the constraint or generalise the solution space by removing unnecessary variables. By doing so, one may have access to solutions not seen before. With me out of the picture, perhaps there is a way to move forward for INSPEM and the university.

There was also a mention of disruptive management by an upper management member, going beyond the status quo. Perhaps my leaving can be framed in that sense too. Disruptions can often bring out systems out of whatever equilibrium conditions they are in, allowing the system to explore other equilibrium configurations. However care is needed when applying disruptions as they may lead to runaway solutions that do not benefit any parties. This is why with the prolonged uncertain situation for the institute, the uncertainty needs to be contained. Uncertainties can grow over time and become uncontrollable risks. Hence my consideration of my earlier actions.

My only wish that we will get the greater good for all in the current situation. I will still be happy to contribute to the institute even if I am no longer in the management. My thanks to colleagues, staff and students for the support during my deputy directorship.

No comments: