Saturday, December 31, 2022

Trip to Kedah and Ending 2022

I thought I should do one last post for 2022. It has been over a week since I have retired and things did not quite proceed like the way I have planned. I wanted to clear up my office before the new year but it is impossible given the things that I have accumulated over thirty years and I'm not the type of person who simply throws things away. I go through each paper/item on what I still wanted, what I can recycle and what I will throw away; so this slows me down. I told Dr. Nurisya that I still need time to clean up the office before I can give my office keys to her (my apologies).

Let me track back a little to the few days before Christmas. First some troubles arising. The car that my third son, Izhar, use to go to work had a leaking radiator causing overheating and the engine is badly affected. My other half let him use her car while waiting for the car to be out from the workshop. This happened before we went to Kedah for my other half's conference. For the Kedah trip, we also overlooked the need to book for the cats' hotel while we are away. Things work out a little as Izhar agreed to pick our youngest Izzuddin at Melaka and then stay with him at our home the few days before Christmas, looking after our cats.

We took off to Kedah precisely on the morning of the day that I retire. It is also the day that my PhD student Choong Pak Shen is facing his viva examination. Had told him I will not be there but instead his co-supervisor Dr. Chan Kar Tim will take my place. As we reached Kedah, received the happy news that Choong has passed his viva examination.


The Kedah journey was very long, around seven hours and the traffic at some places was pretty congested. We arrived at Raia Hotel around quarter to six. Below is the view over paddy fields from the window of our room.


As we were unpacking, I received a call from a friend who was my house-mate in Adelaide during our matriculation year at Daws Road High School. 


Coincidentally he saw that I've checked in at the hotel in my FB and decided to meet. His name is Hamlussalam Dali and we conversed a little about our time in Adelaide and about meeting a few friends when we were back in Malaysia. I also explained why I left the Adelaide WhatsApp because of what have been said in there. I tend to dislike the way some looked down on others particularly if it is unfair and uncalled for. Let bygones be bygones; my main concern is to minimize unnecessary worries. Finally, I had to excuse myself to perform my Jamak prayers as Maghrib is just around the corner. We finally took a photo together.


The next day was a Friday. While my other half is at the conference, my kids planned what to do for the day. First, was our Friday prayers; we went to Zahir Mosque.


Thereafter, our sons had already made plans to watch the second Avatar movie at Aman Central Mall. The movie was more than three hours long and was a bit too much for me. Somehow, I enjoyed the first movie due to the special effects being novel then.

Saturday was a half-day conference for my other half. We did not plan much since she was not feeling well. We only went to some eateries which my sons had identified. They are more adventurous as I tend to look for convenience more than anything else. For lunch we went to Restoran Gulai 7 Kawah. I tried out rendang rusa, so that my sons could have a taste as well.


For dinner, we went to Arab Kitchen. The family wanted to try out the shell-out meal (which I can't eat) and I had separate meal instead (unfortunately came a little late). Despite its name, there is no Arabian food in sight.



The next day, was our journey back home. We had our breakfast at Bobbitiam, instead of the one at the hotel. We made a few stops along the way and one final stop at Cendol Kota Warisan at my second son, Ihsan's special request. Finally, we arrived home just before 7 pm, reunited with my other two sons (and the cats). Ihsan went back to JB the next day and Izhar took a train home, leaving my other half's car. Almost cancel my plans to UPM this week, if he decided otherwise.

Today, we had an unplanned visit to my sister-in-law's place in Segamat and hope to send off my youngest back to campus tomorrow. Anything for New Year Eve or the New Year? I hope to keep this present goatee look until I got tired with it.




No comments: