Friday, February 01, 2019

Lend Me An Ear

This week is probably the most trying week for me. Had I not changed the blood pressure medication earlier this year, my blood pressure would probably have reached a new high.

First, there was this emotional outburst complaint made against the proposed restructuring of the institute (which did not originate from us). Second, the need to resolve an issue that was left open, coupled to the criticism that probably has led to the restructuring. Both of these seems to rekindle the faculty-institute friction despite years of coexistence and probably have upset my superiors. My emotions went to a new low and I entertained the idea of early retirement. I can't stomach all the office politics. The fact that I don't rub shoulders with top people and am controversy-shy, probably puts me in a terrible disadvantage. It was also made known to me much earlier that some think that the institute will grow unstable under my watch. I almost succumbed to make this as a self-realising prophesy.

However knowing I have supportive management colleagues and finally getting our views heard by someone, have helped comfort me a little. I still fear of what will happen next. But I guess I have to take this one step at a time. Sometimes I simply wish that we be left alone to do our usual work.

No comments: