Tuesday, August 07, 2018

The Friday That Was

Last Friday, we had a meeting at Securities Commission for some research project we have agreed to take up. The idea of this project was mooted during the time when Prof. Maman Djauhari was our research fellow at the institute. It so happened to get the MoA done took us almost two years and when it was signed (December last year), Prof. Maman has already left. Nevertheless, we still take up the project given that too much effort has gone into it, partly feeling responsible and there is national interest in it, but also partly we wanted to get the experience working with industries. We presented what we had and discussed what is probably missing, noting that real-life problems are much more complicated. What we thought to be a short meeting, went up until after 12 afternoon (noting it was Friday and we had to go for Friday prayers). Also explained to SC, apart from Sarah, we have many other intervening duties besides the project (this juggling of duties, often goes unappreciated; each new project taken up will often take many hours away from us). This is the pic of us at the lobby (courtesy of Dr. Chan) - from left to right: Azam (SC), Daniel (SC), me (UPM), Dr. Chan (UPM), Sarah (UPM), Wong (SC); another member not present (due to IQRAC preparations) is Zurita.


On the rush back to UPM, we saw an accident involving a schoolkid who was sitting at the divider of the highway while her parent/ brother (unsure), the motorcyclist, was lying a few meters away from her. It was horrible.

Somehow all that afternoon, I felt uncomfortable. I was supposed to chair another meeting later after the Friday prayers. Soon after the Friday prayers, my eldest send me this pic of swollen feet of Izzuddin (my youngest):


He told me that Izzuddin fell down the drain. My wish then was to go back almost immediately. Instead, I asked my eldest to call up my other half who is a doctor and will know what best to do. Me, I stayed on for the meeting since there were some decisions need to be made in order for some students to prepare for their thesis submission in time.

After the meeting, I went straight to Columbia Hospital where my other half already took Izzuddin to. Was informed then that Izzuddin had broken his leg and there is a piece of bone disconnected from the main. If we had insurance for him, they would probably recommend surgery. As I arrived, they already had him plastered and was bout to go home.


The pic might not show much but there is a risk; if the bone is not joined back within two weeks, he may have to go for surgery.

This leg is the same right leg he broke a couple of years back but at a different part. I was in tears during the last time, when a ping pong table fell on his leg. Can't imagine the pain! I really blame the school for not properly supervising the task (kids moving a ping-pong table). We claimed for the school insurance but in the end the claim was unsuccessful. It is not the money that matters but I felt that the school must own up some responsibility. In the present case, I guess my son is to blame for not being careful and fell into a drain. However, I was disappointed to know that it was only his friend that had helped him and they together walked all the way back home (several hundred meters) with my son limping with his friend's support! Again, I can't imagine the pain he had gone through. My son (or his friend) should have informed the school but him having a reserved personality, not wishing to trouble others did not. All the walk might have caused the displacement of the broken bone. Again I wished that the school be a bit more aware of the situation to help. However to be fair to the school (to which I'm humbly grateful) my son had his trial PT3 exam (which is supposed to start today) postponed until next week so that his condition will be slightly better.

My prayers that he will not go through any further pain and difficulties. He has suffered enough. He has already broken his leg twice, broke his arm once, had deep cut in his head after being pushed and his collar bone broke once while he is still learning how to walk.

We (three of us) were scheduled to go to Kuching, Sarawak for IQRAC 2018 last Sunday. But, we decided to forego our tickets just to be with our youngest.

No comments: