Monday, December 12, 2022

Son's Convocation and Nephew's Wedding

Last week was our son Izharuddin's convocation at IIUM and the wedding of our nephew Ahmad Sofiyuddin Ahmad Shakif (son of my sister Zaizah). Our son's convocation was on Wednesday morning. We knew that we can't travel from Seremban to IIUM on that Wednesday, so we decided to book a budget hotel (Seeds Hotel) for Tuesday evening, so that we will only travel a short distance that Wednesday morning. I already took leave for both Tuesday and Wednesday. The Monday before, I was in office to handle matters of the lost assets (needing my signature). I sincerely hope that these matters will be handled amicably and I don't have to pay much for the losses.

That Tuesday morning, our second son Ihsan in JB told us that he would like to attend the convocation. So we waited for him to arrive from JB (he was working the night before) later in the afternoon before checking in into the hotel. As he was probably very tired, my eldest son drove us together to the hotel thereafter. Izhar himself was working that day and will travel to the hotel after work.


Izhar arrived later after Maghrib and finally we had dinner in a nearby restaurant.

On Wednesday morning, we checked out from the hotel almost after immediately Fajr prayers to make sure we arrive in IIUM way before 7.30am during which Izhar is expected to be there together with the other graduates. Finding a parking place was a problem but since Izhar knows his way round the campus, we get to park the car, a walking distance away from the convocation hall. At the hall, Izhar met his room mate before he went to the meeting point of graduates.



We (me and my other half) queued for quite a while before entering the convocation hall. We did not have our breakfast yet at the time. Khair (our eldest) and Ihsan stayed outside and managed to have their breakfast.


We were seated somewhere in the 'balcony', which is a distant from the stage. As the academic procession came in, just knew that the session was chaired by Tan Sri Wan Zul (used to be in Petronas), who is my senior in Adelaide.


Since we were far away above and we did not quite have the program, we were not able to take photos of Izhar when he received the scroll. However his supervisor (who was on stage) was kind enough to snap a photo of Izhar as he walked away after receiving the scroll.


After the convocation ceremony is over, we gathered ourselves at Richiamo Coffee near the hall for us to get a bite.


Izhar had some photo sessions with his course-mates and we waited for him to finish before we did our group photo-shoot (see below).













Not satisfied with these photos, we decided to have some studio photo-shoot in Seremban, the next day. Also, I was asked to get a recent photo of myself for the department.







Both Izhar and Ihsan went back to their workplace, late in Thursday evening.

In the weekend, we have another event to attend to, namely, the wedding of our nephew Ahmad Sofiyuddin Ahmad Shakif with Syaza Fahzlin Mohd Fahruhazi. As usual, weddings are events that family members could get to meet each other (see below).












Since Zaizah (my sis) went to the same school as I am, I get to meet with some of my school friends.



One surprise that I got during the wedding, was meeting with Dato' Dr. Jalaluddin Harun. I knew him during my ITMA days when both of us are Heads of Laboratories in the Institute.



He is still part of Malaysian Timber Council (I think, see this video) and he is now Fellow of Malaysian Academy of Science. In reply, I mentioned that I have returned to the physics department as a normal lecturer and now Prof. Rezal (Emeritus Prof. Dato' Kamel Ariffin's son)  now heads the Institute for Mathematical Research. We discuss a little bit on the university thereafter.

The evening thereafter, took pain-killer Tramadol to ease my back-pain and this has drowsiness effect. Luckily, today (Monday) is a state holiday and I get to have enough rest.

No comments: