Sunday, November 20, 2022

General Elections and the Talk

This weekend, Malaysia had its 15th General Election. The Friday last week was declared a public holiday to allow voters to go back home to their respective voting places. All my sons came back home to vote in Seremban. Never liked politics that much since they tend to cause much division in our society, but vote we must. To lighten up that Friday morning, caught our neighbour cat on our balcony and posted a pic on FB saying that the cat is campaigning for a seat (on the green chairs)


That Friday night, my son took us for dinner at Nasi Arab Damsyik in Senawang. Unfortunately they only had chicken that night, which is a letdown since I don't eat chicken. My other half bought me pizza instead to eat while they are having their meal.







Come Saturday was the election day and that morning it was raining. This time, there seems to be three major political coalitions to choose from (in the past, there was only two). I can imagine the situation where no one single coalition getting a simple majority. My kids had to cast their votes at a nearby school near our home. As we went out for breakfast (it was raining), we can already see cars lining up all the way to the school, which is about ten to fifteen minutes walk from our home.


Me and my other half had to vote at a different place. My other half had to go to work that morning and we will only vote after lunch. The first place we went to did not have our names, and we were told to go to another nearby polling station. Finally we casted our votes.


That evening, I was struggling to finish my slides. I was hoping to say a lot but in the end I didn't get to prepare the slides for the things that I wanted to say (which would touch upon entanglement and this year's Nobel Prize as I did in this post in Malay). Running out of time, I simply reuse some points from some previous presentations that I had. I was also distracted by the election results which came trickling in the night before. The whole talk can be seen here.




Back on the elections; just like I suspected, no single coalition had a simple majority and it was a case of a hung parliament. The king ordered leaders of the coalitions to reconcile their differences with other parties to form a stable government. We shall know tomorrow what has transpired and who will be our new Prime Minister. Whatever it is, most of us common folks want the new government to rebuild our economy after the pandemic that we went through. As I have said, have never liked the divisiveness that is caused by politics.

No comments: