Wednesday, November 09, 2022

A Day at the S2 Clinic

I've been complaining to my other half of my increasing back pain since the last few months. My back pain used to be episodic but now the pain seems to be there all the time. The only treatment seems to be physiotherapy or pain killers. I have avoided pain killers as much as I could since they tend to make me drowsy and I only take them during (long) weekends, so that I can stay alert while driving to work and back. Last weekend (which is a short one), took Tramadol on Friday night and the drowsiness lingers on few days after. With bad traffic on the highway, this can be dangerous. Finally, yesterday after all my complains, my other half took the trouble to contact her senior half who is working at the S2 public clinic and an appointment was made. I did not when precisely when the appointment until I came back home from office late yesterday. 

The appointment was in the afternoon. I was told that she was in meetings the whole morning. I understand doctors being so busy as my other half were in a public hospital before. Most of the time, however, people do not quite understand a doctor's work and often framed themselves are the main patients that doctors need to attend to. I have learned from my other half to see the doctors' point of view. So, I waited for the appointment and hoped I can get leave for that day.

We met the doctor slightly earlier than scheduled and she made some physical examinations on my back and legs. She made recommendations for an X-ray and other tests and asked us to bring whatever medical records regarding my back the next time (we have searched this in the store room). She also told me that having back pain that one can't get rid of can be depressing and tired. Indeed, I am always tired whenever coming back from work, particularly when my right leg has grown weaker and it gets strained after all the pressing of the accelerator and brakes. I normally go to sleep quite early due to this. At work, I had no place to lie on my back, to relieve some of the pain.

Finally she prescribed some pain-killers and ointment and gave me a medical leave for today (delighted, for otherwise I would have to take an emergency leave out of my remaining few days of leave that I have. I do hope this back problem gets better when I go for further tests and physiotherapy this coming 28th November.


No comments: